Karen L. Campbell
Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith LLP
77 Water Street
New York, NY 10005
Karen L. Campbell is a partner in the New York office of Lewis Brisbois and a chair of the General Liability Practice. Ms. Campbell is a trial attorney with 36 years of experience. Her practice focuses on defending hotel industry clients against human sex trafficking claims.
Other practice areas include litigation under the NY and NJ Child Victims Act and general liability litigation at both the primary and excess levels. She also defends food franchisee/franchisors, long-term care providers, assisted living facilities, and home health aides in a variety of matters including professional liability, negligence, sexual abuse/misconduct, discrimination, and errors in judgment claims. She has also represented social services clients such as foster care agencies, outpatient mental health, addiction and counseling clinics, senior citizen and day care centers, and medical, beauty, and personal care facilities.
Prior to entering private practice in 1991, Ms. Campbell was an Assistant District Attorney with the Kings County District Attorneys office in Brooklyn, New York where she prosecuted and tried violent felony crimes. After leaving the District Attorney’s office in 1991, she became associated with a mid-sized firm specializing in environmental insurance coverage and defense of personal injury actions. In 1996, Ms. Campbell became a member of the firm. In 1998, Ms. Campbell joined the New York office of a large California firm as Special Counsel and served as one of the office’s trial counsel. She handled a variety of general liability cases and also concentrated her practice on the defense of hospitals, physicians and podiatrists in medical malpractice litigation arising from cardiovascular, pulmonary, neurological, eye, ear and nose, podiatry diseases or disorders. Most recently, in 2002, she joined a regional Massachusetts firm as the Managing Attorney of the New York office. Ms. Campbell served as the principal trial attorney in New York while overseeing the overall growth and development of the office from two attorneys to more than 17 employees.
Ms. Campbell has successfully tried more than 55 cases in Kings, New York, Bronx, Suffolk and Westchester counties and in the Southern District of New York. She has obtained defense verdicts, directed verdicts and verdicts awarding minimal damages as well as handling the negotiation of favorable settlements both before and during trial.
- State Bar Admissions
- New Jersey
- New York
- United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Western District of New York
- United States Courts of Appeals
- United States Supreme Court
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
- Board Member, The Defense Association of New York (DANY)
- Member, Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel, 2008; State Representative for New York, 2012; Diversity Initiative Committee – Vice Chair, 2012
- Executive Board Member, National Association of Insurance Women, 2006-2008, 2009-2010
- Member, Defense Research Institute
- Member, Claims & Litigation Management Alliance
- Panelist, Summations and War Stories with a Message, NYCLA CLE Institute and Programs, May 4, 2023
- Presenter, New Trends in Civil Litigation, Adults Survivor Act, February 16, 2023
- Speaker, The Direct Examination of the Expert Witness, Defense Association of New York, April 7, 2022
- Panelist, “How to Conduct a Voir Dire: An Interactive Program” co-sponsored by the New York Country Lawyers Association and Beverly Hills Bar Association, September 30, 2021
- Panelist, “COVID-19 Legal Concerns: What’s Top of Mind for the Retail, Restaurant, and Hospitality Industry,” CLM, May 2021
- Panelist, “The Road to Recovery 2021: An Update on Litigating NY Child Victims Act Cases,” New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers, April 27, 2021
- Speaker, Latest Topics in Hospitality Law, Human Sex Trafficking, Lewis Brisbois Webinar, March 2021
- Panelist, Litigating Nursing Home Cases Post The COVID-19 Pandemic (Webinar), New York State Bar Association, October 15, 2020
- Panelist, “The Road on Recovery: Litigating NY Child Victims Act Cases,” New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers, August 6, 2020
- Panelist, The Business Case for Diversity, Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM), June 25, 2020
Lewis Brisbois offers legal practice in more than 40 specialties, and a multitude of sub-specialties. Our attorneys have broad knowledge, experience, and sensitivity to our clients’ unique needs. Through interaction among our practice groups, Lewis Brisbois provides a wide range of legal services to each client with a continuity of representation across multiple disciplines. We have built longstanding relationships with corporate and institutional clients based on our ability to provide comprehensive service on a national scale.
At Lewis Brisbois, diversity is an integral part of our firm culture and our daily life. When we opened our doors over 40 years ago, we knew that one of our top priorities was to hire the best attorneys, staff, administrators, assistants, and clerks in every city where we opened an office. This core principle of our firm’s culture has resulted in our unique and valued diversity. We are proud to have a highly diverse firm comprising more than 3,000 people across the nation. The success of this approach is reflected in the fact that Lewis Brisbois has repeatedly received national recognition for its commitment to embracing diversity. Lewis Brisbois is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse group of talented lawyers and staff, and demonstrates that commitment through non-discriminatory hiring, retention and promotion policies. The diversity of Lewis Brisbois’ client base is matched by the diversity of our attorneys and staff.