Lawrence H. Pockers
Duane Morris LLP
30 South 17th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Tel: +1 215 979 1153
Lawrence H. Pockers represents clients nationally in complex commercial litigation with a primary focus on non-compete, trade secrets and unfair competition cases. Mr. Pockers is Co-Chair of the Duane Morris Non-Compete and Trade Secrets practice group and a member of the firm’s governing Partners Board. He is also the founder and lead editor of the Duane Morris Non-Compete and Trade Secrets blog.
Mr. Pockers has been lead trial counsel in a number of key cases in this area of the law, including The Valspar Corporation v. Van Kuren, 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 111862 (W.D. Pa. Aug. 9, 2012), in which he obtained an injunction on behalf of The Valspar Corporation prohibiting a former manager who had no non-compete or other post-employment restrictive covenant from taking a competitive position, only the second U.S. District Court decision (the celebrated Bimbo Bakeries case being the first) decided under Pennsylvania law enjoining employment of an individual who had no non-compete or other post-employment restrictive covenant.
Mr. Pockers also has significant experience handling a variety of other types of complex commercial cases, including real estate and other business disputes, securities litigation with an emphasis on disputes between customers and broker/dealers and/or registered representatives, litigation involving the licensing and implementation of software, and mass tort products liability litigation. He has tried more than 35 cases in federal, state and arbitration forums.
Mr. Pockers is listed in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. Chambers highlights that he is “available and thorough with a good grasp of law, strategy and good client relationship skills” and describes him as a “litigation partner with exceptional courtroom presence.” Mr. Pockers was selected in 2011 and 2012 as a Pennsylvania “Rising Star” in the area of Business Litigation by Super Lawyers, a publication of Thomson Reuters, and he has been recognized as a Super Lawyer in the area of Business Litigation every year since 2013.
Mr. Pockers is admitted to practice in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. He also is admitted to practice in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Middle Districts of Pennsylvania, and the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey. He is a 1999 magna cum laude graduate of Temple University School of Law, where he was a member of the Temple Law Review and a member of the National Trial Team, which defeated more than 200 law schools to win the 1998 Association of Trial Lawyers of America Trial Tournament. Mr. Pockers also graduated with honors from American University.
- Alliance Life Sciences Consulting Corp. v. Fabriczi, 2:17-cv-00864-CDJ (E.D. Pa. Aug. 17, 2017) report and recommendation of Magistrate Judge adopted 2:17-cv-00864-CDJ (E.D. Pa. Sept. 21, 2017). Represented QuintilesIMS (now IQVIA), a technology-enabled healthcare services provider, in obtaining denial of a preliminary injunction motion filed by Alliance Life Sciences Consulting Group against QuintilesIMS and a former employee who joined QuintilesIMS, allegedly in violation of the employee’s non-competition agreement with Alliance.
- Aramark Services, Inc. v. Procopio, 2:16-cv-04662-RBS (E.D. Pa. Aug. 31, 2016) and (E.D. Pa. Oct. 24, 2016). Obtained a temporary restraining order and later a preliminary injunction on behalf of Aramark against a former senior executive in Aramark’s healthcare division, enjoining the senior executive from accepting employment with a competitor.
- Allied Construction, LLC v. Cooper, C108-15 (Burlington Cty, NJ Nov. 19, 2015). Obtained a temporary restraining order against the former employee of a construction and solar firm enforcing the former employee’s non-competition agreement.
- Zeno Digital Solutions, LLC v. Kelly, 4:15-cv-01290 (S.D. Tex. June 17, 2015). Obtained an injunction against a former employee of an office equipment and digital solutions provider prohibiting the former employee and his new employer from competing in violation of the former employee’s non-competition agreement.
- Nuvasive, Inc. v. Lewis, A-12-CA-1156-SS (W.D. Tex. Oct. 23, 2014). Represented a high-performing medical device sales representative in a jury trial in which her former employer brought multi-million dollar claims against her for, among other things, breach of a non-competition agreement and misappropriation of trade secrets. Following a five-day jury trial in which our client substantially prevailed, the Court awarded her reimbursement of her attorneys’ fees under the fee-shifting provisions of the Texas Theft Liability Act.
- Synthes, Inc. v. Globus Medical, Inc., 2013-09843 (Chester County, PA May 21, 2014). Secured the denial of a motion for a preliminary injunction filed by Synthes against four of its former employees who left Synthes to join Globus Medical, allegedly in violation of the employees’ non-competition agreements with Synthes.
- Capsicum Group LLC v. Rosenthal, 2:13-cv-05322-WY (E.D. Pa. Dec. 17, 2013). Obtained a preliminary injunction enforcing non-competition agreements against former employees of a technology services firm, Capsicum Group.
- De Lage Landen Financial Services, Inc. v. Thomasian, 2:13-cv-00852-RB (E.D. Pa. Mar. 27, 2013) and 2013 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 62639 (E.D. Pa. May 1, 2013). Represented a former employee of DLL (Thomasian), through his new employer (Element Financial), in securing denial of a motion for temporary restraining order, and then a motion for preliminary injunction, filed by DLL seeking to enforce the employee’s non-competition agreement with DLL.
- Listed in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2021-2023
- Named a Labor & Employment Star by Benchmark Litigation, 2019
- Philadelphia Inquirer: Influencer of Law, 2019
- Selected by the Support Center for Child Advocates as a Distinguished Advocate for 2013
- Philadelphia Business Journal, 40 Under 40, 2012
- Named a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer, 2013-2021
- Pennsylvania Rising Star, 2011-2012
- New Jersey
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- Supreme Court of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit