Chris O. Massenburg
Manning Gross + Massenburg LLP
200 Vesey Street
New York, NY 10281
Tel: +1 504 799 0504
Chris Massenburg is a Partner based in the New York and New Orleans offices of Manning Gross + Massenburg LLP, a national litigation powerhouse with 14 offices across the United States representing corporate defendants in high-stakes litigation.
Chris’ practice primarily focuses on environmental, toxic tort, products liability, commercial trucking and transportation, premises liability, and construction defects litigation. Licensed to practice law in Louisiana, New York, New Jersey, California, Pennsylvania, Texas, Mississippi, and Tennessee, Chris earned his J.D. in 2000 from Tulane University Law School, and also achieved a certification in maritime law.
He has defended his clients in numerous cases as lead trial counsel, and has secured multiple zero-dollar defense verdicts by successfully showing juries that his clients did not do anything wrong. Chris has tried cases in Louisiana, California, Texas, New York, Alabama, Illinois, Iowa, Georgia, South Carolina, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, Delaware, Washington, Wyoming, West Virginia, and Oregon.
Chris has served on the Trial Advocacy faculty of both Tulane and LSU law schools, is a current faculty member of the National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA), a member of ABOTA, and board certified in both Civil Law Trial and Civil Practice Advocacy by the National Board of Trial Advocacy.
Chris is AV® Peer and Client Review-Rated by Martindale-Hubbell, and has been repeatedly recognized by both Super Lawyers (Louisiana and Mississippi) and Best Lawyers in America. Chris has also been recognized locally as a back-to-back winner of the New Orleans CityBusiness “Leadership in Law” Award (2019-2020).
- New York
- New Jersey
- US Supreme Court
- US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- US District Courts of California—Central, Eastern, Northern and Southern Districts
- US District Courts of Louisiana—Eastern, Middle and Western Districts
- US District Courts of Mississippi—Northern and Southern Districts
- US District Court, District of New Jersey
- US District Courts of New York—Eastern, Southern, Northern and Western Districts
- US District Courts of Pennsylvania—Eastern, Middle and Western Districts
- Best Lawyers In America, Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions–Defendants, 2018–2023, Product Liability Litigation for Defendants, 2021
- Thomson Reuters, Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2010–2012, Super Lawyers, 2013–2014, 2016–2023
- New Orleans CityBusiness “Leadership in Law”, 2019–2020
- Litigation Counsel of America, Senior Fellow
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer and Client Review Rated
- Martindale-Hubbell Gold Client Champion
- Order of Barristers
- James A. Wysocki Trial Advocacy Award (Tulane Law – for graduating number-one in the trial advocacy course)
- Cicero C. Sessions Award (Tulane Law – awarded to the highest-rated trial advocate in the graduating class)
- 2000 Phelps Dunbar Senior Trial Competition Champion (Tulane Law – partnered with his current law partner, Jeanette Riggins)
- Moot Court Board – Trial Team Competition Coach (Tulane Law)
- Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel (LADC), Member
- National Board of Trial Advocacy
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), Associate Member
- Tulane Law School Trial Advocacy Faculty
- LSU Law School Trial Advocacy Faculty
- NITA Faculty
- Order of Veritas, Barrister
- Mississippi Tort Claims Board
- Louisiana Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- California State Bar Association
- Pennsylvania State Bar Association
- Texas State Bar Association
- Mississippi State Bar Association
- Tennessee State Bar Association
- Claims & Litigation Counsel of America Alliance
- International Institute of Natural Resources, Energy and Environmental Law
- Trial Law Institute, Member
- Diversity Law Institute, Member
Clients ranging from Fortune 100 companies and household-name brands to small, family-owned businesses trust our experienced team of diverse attorneys to handle their most critical and complex litigation.
Through a collaborative approach, we offer custom solutions based on the unique needs of your business and build strong, trial-ready cases that often encourage voluntary dismissals and settlements along the way. We are committed to minimizing any disruption to your business and, if litigation becomes necessary, we are skilled advocates for your business at trial and are experienced in multiple jurisdictions.
Ranked as a top-tier law firm by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” and recognized with Mansfield Certification Plus status, we take pride in our greatest strength—our people. Functioning as a truly integrated team, we staff cases with resources from across our firm and partner with professionals who are best qualified to handle clients’ unique needs. We foster a culture that celebrates varied perspectives and creative thinking, allowing us to collaborate effectively and achieve optimal results for our clients.
With experience in a broad and growing range of practice areas, we support clients across industries in all phases of complex litigation and liability claims, as well as other matters impacting your business.
“Chris is a top-notch litigator who puts client service before all else. He anticipates the client’s needs and consistently exceeds expectations in his results. He is practical, focused and very cost effective. I recommend him without hesitation.”