Derek R. Layser
Friedman Schuman, PC
275 Commerce Drive, Suite 210
Fort Washington, PA 19034
Derek R. Layser is a Shareholder of Friedman Schuman and Chairman of the medical malpractice department. With more than 100 cases tried to a jury’s verdict, Mr. Layser maintains an active civil trial practice throughout Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
Early in his career, Mr. Layser worked and tried cases as a medical malpractice defense lawyer. Since then, he has brought his understanding and perspective to the handling of cases exclusively for plaintiffs, concentrating his practice in medical malpractice, product liability and other complex personal injury matters.
Mr. Layser has numerous six- and seven-figure jury verdicts, arbitration verdicts and settlements to his credit. His 8.25 million dollar verdict on behalf of the widow of a young man whose family physician failed to diagnose colon cancer in time still stands as one of the largest medical malpractice verdicts ever in conservative Delaware County, Pa. The case was also extraordinary because the physician who failed to make a timely diagnosis, leading to the patient’s death, happened also to be his brother. Mr. Layser has handled a variety of complex medical cases involving birth injuries, nursing home neglect, surgical mishaps and catastrophic brain injuries.
Mr. Layser also has extensive experience handling cases involving product defects, surgical and pharmacy errors, premises liability, such as apartment fires, and auto and trucking accidents.
Mr. Layser is frequently invited to lecture to attorneys at continuing education seminars in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. He has planned and delivered courses on pharmacy liability, legal issues involving settlements and releases, trial practice and trial evidence. He has also been asked to serve several times as an expert witness.
Honors & Awards
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
- Listed in the Bar Register of Pre-Eminent Lawyers (Medical Malpractice)
- The Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Named to Outstanding Lawyers of America
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyer, 2004 – 2023
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2013 – 2023
- Pennsylvania, 1989
- New Jersey, 1990
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1994
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1989
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1990
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- Supreme Court of New Jersey
- Widener University School of Law, Wilmington, Delaware
- J.D. cum laude – 1988
- Shippensburg University
- B.S. – 1983
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- American Association for Justice (AAJ)
- New Jersey Association for Justice (NJAJ)
- Pennsylvania Association for Justice (PAJ)
- Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association
Friedman Schuman is a Pennsylvania-based law firm bringing a wealth of experience to a diverse range of legal disciplines, including personal injury, medical malpractice, real estate, corporate and business law, employment law, financial services, and wills, trusts & estates. For more than 40 years, we have proudly served clients in the tri-state area.
Our goal is to provide clients with the big-city legal services they need and the small-town personal attention they deserve. With a group of some of the most effective legal professionals in the country, our firm offers every client the same dedicated and skilled legal representation. No matter is insignificant. No client is too small.
Whatever your business, legal, or strategic concerns, Friedman Schuman welcomes the opportunity to assist you—with smart, focused and effective representation.