Jason W. Pfeiffer
Robins Kaplan LLP
800 LaSalle Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55402
Jason Pfeiffer serves as Chair of the National Business Litigation Group. He is an experienced trial lawyer who has earned a national reputation for excellence in catastrophic loss, toxic tort, and products liability litigation. His clients range from industrial plant owners and subrogated property insurers to product manufacturers and individuals who suffer devastating injuries in fires and explosions. In recent years, Jason has devoted a portion of his practice to securing recoveries from corporate entities engaged in healthcare fraud.
For nearly 18 years, Jason has litigated many of the country’s most significant industrial disasters, including five matters investigated by the Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board. Representing clients as plaintiffs and defendants, Jason navigates the complex issues associated with fires and explosions, with a particular emphasis on combustible dust events.
Jason drives results. From pre-suit investigations through trial and appeal, Jason resolves complex cases at all stages of litigation, frequently before suit is filed or through voluntarily dismissal. When representing plaintiffs, Jason has obtained recoveries in excess of $100 million—including four 8-figure recoveries and more than ten cases with recoveries of at least $1 million.
Jason is listed in The Best Lawyers in America and was previously named a Litigation Star by Benchmark Litigation.
- Represented a 32-year-old male with 3rd degree burns over 70% of the body resulting from an industrial accident. Settled with defendants for $15.4 million.
- Obtained partial settlement of $3.4 million for a 49-year-old male who was burned in a dust explosion at a Midwest manufacturing facility.
- Obtained confidential arbitration award for property insurers following a combustible dust explosion that killed six people and destroyed the powerhouse that serviced the Ford Rouge manufacturing complex in Dearborn, Michigan.
- Obtained confidential settlement for property damage and business interruption losses arising from a power plant explosion near Kansas City, Missouri.
- Obtained confidential settlements for power company and its property insurers arising from the failure of the Silver Lake Dam in Marquette, Michigan.
- Obtained confidential settlement for plant owner from third-party vendor for damages caused by a combustible dust explosion.
- Obtained confidential settlement from Italian company for property damages caused by a flammable vapor explosion at the Wrigley printing facility in Chicago, Illinois.
- Obtained confidential settlement for subrogated insurer for property damage following a propane explosion.
- Represented property insurer and hotel owner in litigation arising from hotel fire in Lincoln, Nebraska.
- Obtained confidential settlement for product manufacturer for property damage arising from a warehouse fire in Illinois.
- Obtained confidential settlement for woman with third-degree burns in product liability litigation.
- Obtained confidential settlement for health insurance organization in a healthcare fraud dispute.
- Obtained confidential settlement for health insurance organization in dental fraud litigation.
- Obtained confidential settlement for healthcare technology client in contractual dispute.
- Represented client in international breach of contract dispute that resulted in confidential settlement.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice for product manufacturer in litigation following an explosion and fire that killed more than 30 people and injured dozens more at a natural gas refinery.
- Obtained summary judgment for product manufacturer following the largest industrial accident in Mississippi history—a combustible dust explosion that killed five people and injured several more.
- Obtained summary judgment for product manufacturer following a hazardous chemical release and explosion where the personal injury plaintiffs later settled for $18.5 million.
- Obtained cost of defense settlement for product manufacturer following an ethylene oxide explosion where plaintiffs sought $28 million.
- Obtained summary judgment for product manufacturer in personal injury litigation involving amputation injuries.
- Defended product manufacturer in toxic tort litigation due to alleged environmental contamination involving more than 600 personal injury and property damage plaintiffs.
- Defended plant owner in litigation arising from a combustible dust explosion that killed two employees and injured several more.
- Defended product manufacturer in two putative nationwide class actions where plaintiffs sought full refunds exceeding $100 million.
- Defended product manufacturer in class action litigation following a train derailment, hazardous chemical release, and explosion.
- Named in Chambers USA as a “Minnesota Band 3” in Litigation: General Commercial (2020-2023)
- Named a “Litigation Star,” Benchmark Litigation (2013, 2022-2023 editions)
- Listed in “500 Leading Litigators in America,” Lawdragon (2022)
- Named “Attorney of the Year,” Minnesota Lawyer (2021)
- Named to The National Law Journal’s List of “Plaintiffs’ Lawyers Trailblazers” (2020)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America (2016-2023 editions)
- Recipient of the “Diversity Mentoring Award,” Robins Kaplan LLP (2015)