Melissa Foster Bird
Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough
949 Third Avenue
Huntington, WV 25701
- Served as stand–up trial counsel for national medical device manufacturer in pelvic mesh trials, participating in discovery, de bene esse depositions, and trial strategy
- Deposed and defended fact witnesses, plaintiffs, treating physicians, and experts in depositions for pelvic mesh multidistrict litigation
- Deposed plaintiffs, fact witnesses, and treating physicians in hormone therapy (HRT) litigation
- Took evidentiary depositions of treating physicians for use in cholesterol drug trials
- Experience in workplace sexual harassment and retaliatory termination
- Experience in railroad defense litigation, products liability, premises liability, professional malpractice, and toxic tort cases
- Published in the areas of privacy and media law
- Taught seminars in the areas of effective motion practice, expert witness direct and cross examination, trial practice and tactics, and scientific research concerning cumulative trauma disorders
- Defended claim of employer negligently assigning worker to tasks knowing they were beyond his physical restrictions
- Defended allegation of sexual harassment and retaliatory discharge, emotional distress, libel, slander, and defamation
- Defended claim of a disabling back injury during the course of heavy industrial work and claim that tools and methods provided by employer created a unsafe work environment
- In a Mingo County, West Virginia case, defended allegation of cumulative trauma injuries during work due to the unsafe manner in which he was asked to perform his job
- Recipient of the 2019 Women Worth Watching Leadership Award from the Profiles in Diversity Journal
- Benchmark Litigation
- “Future Star” (2018–2021)
- West Virginia “Labor & Employment Star” (2022)
- The Nelson Mullins Sara Turnipseed “Women on the Go” Award recognizing promotion of opportunity and success for women attorneys (2017)
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Litigation: General Commercial – West Virginia (2011–2014, 2018–2023)
- The Legal 500: U.S. Edition, litigation practice (2011–2015); Dispute Resolution: Product liability, mass tort, and class action – defense: Toxic Tort (2021)
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Railroad Law (2012–2023)
- Lawyer of the Year in Charleston, W. Va. for Railroad Law (2013)
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Faculty, litigation trial school, National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel
- DRI—The Voice of the Defense Bar
- National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel
- Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Served as a volunteer for the Huntington Museum of Art Capital Campaign, the United Way of the River Cities, the State Scholars Initiative, and the West Virginia Civil Liberties Union
- Involved in Andrew’s Buddies/FightSMA, an organization that raises funds for research in the area of Spinal Muscular Atrophy
Nelson Mullins is a diversified law firm of more than 1,000 attorneys, policy advisors, and professionals across 33 offices serving clients in more than 100 practice areas.
- Our litigators are trial lawyers, serving Fortune 200 clients, litigating high-stakes matters, and participating on national and virtual trial teams.
- Our corporate and transactional teams provide high quality corporate, securities, finance, venture capital, commercial real estate, real estate capital markets, and technology services.
- Our government relations team serves clients at the federal, state and local levels and includes former high-ranking government officials.
- Our intellectual property group has been recognized nationally for IP litigation and provides a full-range of IP services for clients across industry sectors.
- Our Nelson Mullins Encompass team is a dedicated practice group that provides integrated e-discovery and information governance services to clients on a flexible and scalable basis, serving as Enterprise E-Discovery Counsel for Fortune 200 clients and empowering focused and defensible strategies with law firm accountability.
Together, we serve as trusted advisors to clients across a range of business sectors with client relationship fundamentals of quality, dependability, solution-oriented service and value.