Neal F. Pratt
Pierce Atwood LLP
254 Commercial Street
Portland, ME 04101
Neal Pratt is widely-regarded as a “go to” trial attorney for high-stakes litigation. With an extraordinary record of success over 30 years, Neal has unique experience handling “bet-the-company” litigation and other thorny legal disputes. He is renowned for his strategic planning skills and meticulous preparation, and often succeeds in achieving client goals without the need for protracted litigation. When a trial is necessary, however, Neal’s extensive track record of courtroom victories speaks for itself.
Neal serves as co-chair of the firm’s Probate and Trust Litigation Group, and is a member of the Litigation Practice Group. He specializes in complex civil and commercial litigation, with a focus in shareholder and partnership disputes, business and contract actions, probate and trust litigation, and product liability and tort matters. He also has substantial experience handling construction disputes and cell tower litigation.
Neal repeatedly has been recognized by clients and peers in virtually every major national peer-review organization, including Best Lawyers in America, Chambers USA, Super Lawyers, Benchmark Litigation, Martindale Hubbell, and Lawdragon. Clients and opposing attorneys have publicly commended his performance with testimonials such as: “he is an excellent attorney“, “[he is] calm, precise and strategic“, and “he is full of energy and fights the way you would want your brother to.” Maine’s largest newspaper also has commented that Neal has “earned the reputation as a skilled trial lawyer and top-notch litigator.”
- University of New Hampshire School of Law, J.D.,
- David S. Slutsky Scholar for Academic Excellence
- University of Maine, B.A.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maine
- Won summary judgment on all claims in Maine Business Court in defense of three shareholders accused of breaching their fiduciary duties and engaging in undue influence relating to family-owned construction business. Also obtained dismissal of related will contest in Probate Court.
- Successfully settled breach of fiduciary duty case brought against bank and trust company in which several plaintiffs sought several million dollars in damages.
- Won complete dismissal of a multimillion dollar suit brought against a client in U.S. Bankruptcy Court for want of derivative standing.
- Secured dismissal of trademark infringement action brought under the Lanham Act involving outdoor apparel “brand” utilized in catalog and web marketing.
- Won arbitration hearing arising out of dispute between general partners and related entities over distribution and allocation of proceeds of $80 million timberland sale.
- Won complete dismissal by Federal Court of 185-page complaint seeking $25 million in damages for alleged violations of “RICO” statute stemming from telemarketing of prescription medications.
- Obtained stipulated judgment and favorable settlement on behalf of client arising out of series of related lawsuits in state and federal courts involving multiple parties and multimillion dollar claims of fraud, breach of contract, unfair competition, civil conspiracy, fraudulent transfers and defamation.
- Won summary judgment in federal court in defense of corporate client in multimillion dollar civil rights suit alleging conspiracy among court-appointed Receiver and several public and private entities to put construction company out of business.
- Successful defense at arbitration and in Texas Federal Court of underground fuel storage tank leak-detection system manufacturer against $20 million product liability, fraud and breach of contract claims.
Whether confronted with a complex commercial matter or a class action, Pierce Atwood’s nationally-recognized litigation attorneys consistently get results for their clients in a practical and efficient manner.
Pierce Atwood’s litigation lawyers have successfully litigated a broad variety of matters in state and federal trial and appellate courts and agencies, as well as a variety of alternative dispute resolution settings. Regardless of the type of case, the Litigation Group takes great pride in partnering with its clients to formulate and execute on the right approach to serve the client’s needs in any given situation.
Pierce Atwood LLP is a highly-regarded full-service law firm based in New England, recognized nationally and internationally for its expertise in complex and class action litigation, energy production and distribution, midmarket mergers and acquisitions, information security and technology, commercial real estate development, and complex construction projects.
Pierce Atwood provides legal and business counsel to its clients, which range from regional and local enterprises, utilities, financiers, middle-market companies, entrepreneurs, and individuals, to Fortune 500 companies, multinational corporations, and state and foreign governments. Clients derive superior value based on the firm’s efficient and cost-effective service structure coupled with its high level of sophistication, responsiveness, and industry expertise.